June 11, 2010

And this is why today is FEARLESS FRIDAY...

An essential "Bonus Blog"

Sometimes, we hear or experience something that puts everything in perspective, reminds us what matters most, and changes the entire mindset of our day.
On Wednesday of this week I received this email from our customer Portia Hinshaw, and I knew I had to share.


Hello Rachel,

You have been on my mind for the last few days; I knew it was time to write you about the power of your jewelry...

On the last day of school, May 26th, Jhamal and I were heading home all set to enjoy the beginning of our much needed summer break. The day before, Jhamal had received seven Academic Excellence Awards and BEST of all - Citizen of the Year! I told him that being smart means nothing if you are a jerk:-)! Bill and I are so very proud of him. As we headed up the Canyon that late afternoon, we were hit by a drunk driver. Both of us walked away from the accident with injuries but nothing severe. The car was totalled.

After the CO State Patrol arrived, he informed me that my defensive driving skills saved both of us and the other guy. He said, "You are truly fearless." AND guess what necklace was around my neck ... yes, Me and Ro's Fearlessness. That night Bill told me over and over again how brave I was. AND what bracelet was I wearing? Me and Ro's Courage! I truly believe that the power of wearing jewelry with meaning evokes certain qualities in a person ... especially when those qualities are most needed.

I am still in quite a bit of pain; my ribs were badly bruised. I am relaxing, healing ... and car shopping! Jhamal, on the other hand, is doing great! He ran a personal best in the Bolder Boulder 10K Race five days after the accident, and he heads to Yellowstone for a Wolf Trek tomorrow morning. We feel grateful and blessed! My hope is that the guy who hit us will use this experience to change his life. I am daily journaling the positives that have come out it.

Thank you, my dear friend, for the loving and compassionate part that you play in all of our lives.

I hope you are well!




I still cannot get through the letter without crying. I am so grateful that these two beautiful, incredible people, Mother and Son, were able to walk away from such a horrific event, and that their bodies will fully heal. And I also can barely express the sense of pride I have to know this family, even if it is 'cyberspace' supported, I have been so inspired and encouraged by Portia's wonderful disposition and sense of humor, her grace, and yes! her FEARLESSNESS. This woman LIVES life, and she is truly a hero to me.
And she and her husband Bill are raising their son, Jhamal with the same values, strength of character, and compassionate nature that I feel so strongly from them.

*Jhamal and his wonderful work with the Special Olympics in Boulder, Co, inspired our THANKFUL THURSDAY on Facebook yesterday. Thank you Jhamal!






*Lori's FEARLESSNESS tattoo!


Today is also the birthday of another dear friend, and hands down, one of the most FEARLESS, and (sorry, but it's true!) KICK ASS women we know! LORI G. is an amazing woman, who uses her FEARLESSNESS every day as a social worker rescuing children from horrendous situations, giving them hope, saving their lives. Lori also works to shelter and place homeless dogs, and there are not enough words to express how much I respect what she does, who she is and how she lives her life. We are wishing her a year that returns to her all the good things she puts into the world!


And on Monday, June 14th, Cynthia Bender, SUCH a huge part of the Giving Tree family and the very first to create a CUSTOMERS CARING page... is doing the triathlon to raise awareness for Ovarian Cancer. Already a FEARLESS force in the world, we just wanted her to know we will all be with her if she needs any extra strength!! We all KNOW you can do it! *and your necklace will help!




In truth, there is rarely a day that goes by that we don't hear of at least from at least one FEARLESS woman out there, who shares her story, shows her strength and inspires us through the way she lives. Today, there just happened to be many.. and we LOVE IT!
SO,

HAPPY FEARLESS FRIDAY EVERYONE!
May you feel the power of FEARLESSNESS in your self!

No comments: