August 4, 2009

"It Takes A Village"-Another 'Gratitude' Blog

It's true. I am overflowing with gratitude again, and standing (ok, lying on the couch) in awe over how blessed I am, and how, as the title suggests, "it takes a village"...to run Givingtreejewelry.com! I could not end this day without taking a moment to thank the people that have been around this last month. NOT an easy month, to say the least! Losing a long time manager/web designer, I have had to take over the daily running of the site, and at the same time, try to do the 'new' things that will help the business survive these incredibly strained times. These folks (and lots of others) have literally kept me going! Please read on and celebrate them with me!
Laura-Steadfast and true, Giving Tree sales manager and great friend, Laura, has arrived daily with a wonderful attitude and amazing energy. She powers through each days challenges, not the least of which is dealing with..ME!. (Case in point... and I quote: "Laura..Laura?? Have you seen the 18k bezel set diamond earrings by Melissa Joy Manning? I JUST had them a second ago.. Laura.. Laura!" "Did you check the trash?" "Whoops"

Liza- Next week, I will be launching the line of 'Giving Tree Tees' I have been working on for months. My dear, life long friend in L.A.- Liza, is screen printing them for me. And she has offered so much support, encouragement, and advice! And she has been incredibly gentle with me during the learning curve. Essentially, these are a labor of love. I will need to sell 75 shirts before I break even. I think I got a little carried away. Again. "Whoops"

Maggie
-My amazing partner who has been absolutely incredible for the last 8 weeks, even when almost every 'date' night consisted of Maggie watching me struggle with the website. Not once has she been anything but loving, patient, and kind. I feel so lucky to get to spend my life with just this type of person!

Pete- My friend who stepped up, and in, to help me with the photography of the site, as well as just being an all around inspiration and example of absolute goodness. He and his beautiful wife Kara have officially won the battle to adopt their two foster kids, and I am working with Me & Ro to create a piece for them to give as gifts to the Social Workers, etc, who helped them. THIS is the kind of 'work' that makes my heart explode with joy!

Meg-An absolute gift to me, and Giving Tree. Our new designer, who (there is a theme here) puts up with me ALL day long, and has worked tirelessly to make my givingtreejewelry.com site dreams come true!

Michael- Giving Tree's original designer, from L.A. who has moved on from teeny companies like ours, to companies like Gatorade, Barbie, and Cisco. And yet he STILL lets me call him all the time and ask him how to do things!

Friends, like Suzanne and Keilana and Tina and Meg, that love me, despite my obsessive workaholic tendencies!

Artists (and friends) like Pablo Valencia that has been an ANGEL to Giving Tree. His answer, always, unequivocably ,is "yes!" I love you Pablo! thank you!

Customers, like Carol, Patrick, Karla, Caroline, Laura,Deb, and Mariya! who have kept me smiling all month by just being SO good and alive and wonderful, and who share their lives with me. Thank you!

Customers that come visit me at the gallery, and add to my life forever! Mr. Meador, in particular, who is supporting my 'other' dream of becoming a d.j., by sending me oodles of music, and support, via the wonders of the internet.
Check this out!
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/146432/02%20Crazy%20In%20Love.m4a
(don't worry Maggie, I won't spin this! I promise! (Sort of)
and finally,

my MOM! Not only did she create this place, and make it what it is, but every day, she fills me with love and joy, and something to laugh about. And all before 9 am!
I am MOST blessed to have this time, and share THIS beautiful, incredible, dream come true- with her.

Love To All!
Rachel

8 comments:

givingtreejewelry said...

gratitude is a precious feeling and I am so proud of you for having it and truly acknowledging those who are so important to you. And we do it because we love you, Rachel for being who you are!

Judith

Kate said...

I should take a nod from you and pay a little gratitude forward. I can't wait to visit you all someday out in the beautiful cape! I know we'll bond instantly over Iowa City tales and the wonder of beautiful people and things.

All the best to you, Rachel!

Unknown said...

Hear, hear Judith!!!

Xo
Maggie

Unknown said...

Please keep me posted on the T's - I shall wear mine with pride!

Sending you so much love . . . .

Ellen Osborn

Carol said...

I am impressed again and again with you, Rachel, and your gratitude to all of those in your life. Friendship is a give and take and I can see why you have so many friends...you GIVE, GIVE, GIVE!! I am excited about the T-shirts.

hugs and more hugs, Carol

Rachel Smith said...

those were the BEST comments ever! thank you!! Things really are looking up! and it has everything to do with the positive energy and support we give to one another!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtfull post on gratitude. It should be very much helpfull

Thanks,
Karim - Mind Power

artfoodsoul said...

hello rachel,

stopped by wednesday for a dose of the gardens and fell in love with your tees...hope you're open tues cuz i want to introduce another friend to the wonder of giving tree -- thank you for the magic of it!